HW6: Environmental Change due to Colonization
Nuclear weapons testing in Nevada, from the international campaign to abolish nuclear weapons by the U.S government
The article by High Country News, First Cancer, now delayed compensation for Indigenous downwinder communities discusses nuclear testing sites in the state of Nevada and how it affected the surrounding people but primarily indigenous people. Not only were there nuclear tests but there were also uranium mines surrounding the areas and native workers were often not informed of the harmful effects. The article also discusses how the government will offer a one-time payment to people who lived in the area only if they are suffering from health issues at the moment, knowing how difficult it can be for indigenous people to claim their apology payment.
After reading this article I’m left to wonder many things, how could the government allow these tests to be done with people so close? Why is the government making it so difficult for the indigenous people of the area to receive their ‘cash apology’? I do feel concerned about the impacts on the environment but especially on the people who suffered and have lost their families due to the harmful effects of these testing sites being located close to so many homes. I do not think the article exaggerated the harm that was done to the people who experienced this and many of them who come from indigenous communities will not receive that money because of how difficult the system is making it for them. This is not to say that money will fix everything, it would be impossible to heal the people who lost so much with a payment and a “we’re sorry” from the government but so many will not be able to receive what could be a life-changing amount of money due to the system creating obstacles that indigenous people specifically have a hard time achieving.
My recommended action for people in Keene and everywhere would be to stay educated on who we are electing into positions of power as well as what legislations they are creating or discarding. In the case of this article, the harmful act was committed decades ago but the impacts will live on forever so the next course of action is preventing things like this from happening again and putting people in a position to be educated on the topic. I would have never known about this occurring to so many people and the injustice being served to the indigenous communities if I never read this article. The best thing we can do to help the future legacy we leave on the planet and its people is to stop committing these acts of injustice and make sure the people who have the power do as well.


What really resonated with me throughout this blog post is that we 100% need to be more aware of the officials we vote into office, and pick the ones that will be best for protecting our population and environment. We have the power to change and be better for future generations, and it starts with people in office. I think us as humans can also make a change as well, by voicing our idea of new policy and protesting for what's right. I also really liked how you mentioned "I would have never known about this occurring to say many people an the injustice being served to indigenous communities if I had never read this article". it was very shocking and eye opening learning about the hoops these people had to jump through. I really liked the photo that you chose as it really demonstrates the capacity of damage that an atomic bomb releases, I also appreciated the fluidity of your writing. Your true feelings really came through in this blog!
ReplyDelete